Saturday, June 14, is the World Naked Bike Ride. Yes, you read that right. Naked. Biking.
As dangerous as it sounds, thousands of people participate in the sport. The event is designed to highlight dangers faced by pedestrians and cyclists while supporting clean, safe air. The main danger I see is that the riders are nude!!!
Surprisingly, this isn’t the only event with naked participants.
My favorite five (after the World Naked Bike Ride) are listed below.
1. Bay to Breakers – a 7.5 mile footrace in San Francisco.
2. Naked Hiking Day – Held on the summer solstice (June 21) so watch out if you’re out hiking or woo hoo – you can get bug bites and a sunburn on parts not normally viewable to the public.
3. Running of the Nudes – Two days before the Running of the Bulls in Pamplona, Spain, activists run through the streets naked in protest of bullfighting. (Seems it might have the opposite effect – more people might be inclined to watch bulls run if they can see naked people run first.)
4. Nanshan Naked Ski Pig Festival – The biggest naked skiing event in the world takes place in China. Skiing, in the snow, naked. Smart…
5. Great Annual Nude Tunnel Run – If you want to be naked with 100 other people but you’re shy about stripping in public, this is for you. Participants run 3/4 of a mile through a pitch black tunnel in New Zealand, nude – where they can’t see anything…running, naked.
There’s no way that I would participate in any of these events. I wouldn’t even participate in the No Pants Subway ride. Bare it all? I think not.
May the farce be with you!